Microsoft bumps docked Minecraft resolution to 1080p on Nintendo Switch
Get all them pixels when you stay docked
Back in May, upon its release, Microsoft announced that the Nintendo Switch version of Minecraft would debut with a resolution of just 720p, when docked and in handheld mode. Some Minecraft fans were confused, as Minecraft isn't exactly a graphical powerhouse, so why limit the game's potential? Assuming the Switch could run the game at a native 1080p. Microsoft said at launch, that it wasn't due to the lack of power on the Switch's part, but that it left the door open for future upgrades.
True to their word, it appears that today Minecraft is getting said upgrade. The folks in Redmond, along with developer Mojang, have released a new patch for the Switch version of Minecraft that will see the docked version of the game get a boost in resolution, all the way up to full 1080p HD.
The handheld, or undocked, version will remain at 720p, the same resolution from launch. By keeping the game limited to 720p in handheld mode, the device saves battery, performs better with overall higher and more consistent frame rates, which keeps it more in line with other Switch titles.
The new patch also introduced a ton of other bug fixes and updates, a full list of the patch notes can be read below.
Minecraft Patch Notes:
- Added Canyon, a free Glide track.
- Added Biome Settlers 2 Skin pack.
- Added Terracotta and Glazed Terracotta layers to Tumble.
- Enable 1080p display when placed in the Nintendo Switch Dock.
- Improved performance in Solo Glide when restarting the level (particularly with split-screen spectators).
- Totem of Undying now also applies Fire Resistance II.
- Fixed some areas where it was possible to escape from Battle maps or Glide tracks.
- Fixed a bug where players were unable to milk a Cow in Creative Mode.
- Fixed a bug where players were being teleported back to the Nether portal shortly after arriving in the other dimension.
- Fixed a bug where broken Banners wouldn’t stack with crafted Banners.
- Fixed a bug where Wheat, Ladders, and Banners were not correctly spawning in Woodland Mansions.
- Fixed a bug where Monster Spawners in Woodland Mansions were Pigs instead of Spiders.
- Fixed a bug where the Item Frame icon appeared when holding a Map.
- Fixed an incorrect death message when players were killed by Zombie Villagers.
- Fix for custom names of Mobs not being shown in death messages.
- Fix for being unable to unlock “Sniper Duel”.
- Fix for being unable to unlock “Camouflage”.
- Fix for MCCE #5183 – Player can kill a tamed Parrot with PvP disabled.
- Fix for MCCE #5062 – Farmer Villagers only plant one seed after harvesting a whole crop of seeds from a field.
- Fix for MCCE #4103 – Time spent on the Pause menu when under water counts towards the “Free Diver” trophy.
- Fix for MCCE #3112 – When trying to throw food, Villagers throw it in the wrong direction.
- Fix for MCCE #5219 – Two types of Bone Block with different pictures.
- Fix for MCCE #4989 – Zombie Villager Spawn eggs are the wrong colour.
- Fix for MCCE #5261 – Flower hitbox is displaced.
- Fix for MCCE #4897 – Beds explode when TNT Explodes is disabled.
- Fix for MCCE #4954 – Mobs can’t move with a block above them.
- Fix for MCCE #3010 – Constructing an End portal in a certain method can lead to the End Portal being created next to the portal frame.
- Fix for MCCE #5292 – Only regular Skeletons spawning in the Nether.
- Fix for MCCE #5151 & MCCE #5208 – Item frames don’t show the custom name of their items.