Fortnite's Battle Royale releases today; Update 1.6.3 Patch Notes
There it is!
Despite Epic Games seeing some pushback from the developers behind PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds after announcing the free-to-play mode for Fortnite called Battle Royale, the mode has released without an issue or statement from Epic to the PUBG devs.
Fortnite's Battle Royale has officially released, bringing the 100 player PvP mode to everyone on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC/Mac. The Battle Royale brings more than just a free-to-play PvP mode to various platforms, it also brings Squads, new weapons, and supply drops!
The Battle Royale update also includes a full balance pass, bug fixes and more - including PvE updates (on following page).
To start off, anyone who purchased a Founder’s Pack before September 21 will receive exclusive Camo skins for their glider and umbrella while descending from the Battle Bus.
'Duos' and 'Squad' match types have been added, alongside the 'Solos' match type. The Duos match type allows players to play in groups of two and Squads brings the group number to four, all Squads are pit against other Squads.
The Squad match type is available to play immediately, while Duos will be activated when there are enough players to support matchmaking in both modes.
Squads comes with the following features:
- Invite friends to play on your team using the in-game Friends List.
- Use the “Fill” option to automatically fill your team with other players.
- When your health falls to zero you’ll be “down but not out” (DBNO). Your squadmates only have a short amount of time to revive you before your health bar drains.
- You can see your team members’ status on the HUD, including Health and Shields.
- Use the map to place location markers which are visible to your team and will display on the compass at the top of the HUD. Keep an eye out for markers from your squad!
- Cooperate with team members to build awesome defensive structures!
- Friendly-fire is enabled, so be careful where you aim! Intentionally attacking squadmates violates the code of conduct.
Battle Royale will also feature 'Supply Drops' - crates filled with weapons and items. These Supply Drops are chance events, but when they happen, you'll see a crate flying around held up by balloons. Shoot the balloons down and the crate will fall.
A set of new weapons have also released alongside Fortnite's Battle Royale:
- Scoped Assault Rifle: Improves accuracy over the base version, and is best used to engage medium-long range targets.
- Zapotron: Can be used to fire electric blasts in short bursts, or charged up to release an enormous amount of damage! Fire sparingly, as Cell Ammo is extremely limited. This weapon is only available in Supply Drops.
- Tactical Submachine Gun: The Tactical SMG is an effective medium range weapon with high rate of fire.
The PvE mode is still pay-to-play and in Early Access.