Call of Duty: WWII new multiplayer details, zombie details, and more
Like loot boxes.
The September issue of the GameInformer magazine brought a ton of details for Call of Duty: WWII with it. If you don't subscribe to GameInformers magazine, it might be a bit difficult to get a hold of all that sweet, sweet information hidden within its pages.
Luckily, there's a way around that! A saint of a Redditor managed to take the GameInformer issue and detail everything that was revealed for Call of duty: WWII in bullet points, which you can see below (cleaned up) or on Reddit (in their primal form).
One of the things that the latest issue of GameInformer revealed is that Activision understands how their annual releases for Call of Duty affect the community but doesn't make it sound like that will be changing anytime soon.
"I think in many ways it already is a game as service, in many ways one of the first," said Activision CEO Eric Hirshberg. "You have the same community that comes around from year to year. It doesn't have that continuous world with expansions and accomplishments that carry over from game to game, but it does have a very stable community. We've tried to find the right solution for each franchise individually, and Call of Duty has really benefited from that annual innovation moment, that anual re-engagement moment. There's advantages and disadvantages to both. Sometimes it's harder to bring a new player in if they're, say, three years behind. I think there's more we can do to unify the player no matter where they're playing."
- COD WWII campaign is European theater in 44-45.
- Your character: Private Ronald "Red" Daniels, a 19 year old Texan fresh out of boot camp with glory and a lady at home
- Mechanics focus on your squad. No health regen or free ammo, squad mates provide health and ammo packs.
- New feature "Heroic Actions" which are events for players during the campaign. Ex. Dragging soldiers through fire, saving a pinned ally
- Confirmed to play as US Army, British Special operations executive and French resistance fighters. Confirmed to play as female French resistance
- Swastikas in the campaign only. Sledgehammer debated heavily on the inclusion in other modes but decided against it
- Some confirmed locations: Normandy, Operation Cobra, Train, Marigny, The Wolf's Den, Aachen (Germany), Hurtgen Forest, Hill 493
- Zombies biggest challenge: matching pacing from the movies, they really like the idea of a slaughter house.
- The characters you play as part of the Monuments, Fine Arts, and Archives section (MFAA) looking for stolen art.
- Puzzles, gun purchases, and gates remain the same
The story is set as the following:
- Nazi's knew the war was almost over so they created the Zombie project as a way to fight back. However, the experiments saw that they could not be controlled. Zombies were created by man. The research has shown that they can be brought back to life by exploiting the nervous system. However, the zombies have to be assembled with bolts and metal
- Won't be as simple as OG zombies. Different objectives will unlock new places to open
- Based on real events!
- Zombies in WWII has load outs and a function similar to the perks system. Four core classes to use: offense, control, support, and medic. Customization with casual players in mind.
- Special abilities in zombies, sort of like the power-ups system. Unlimited ammo for a short time is one of the abilities.
- Zombies combines wave based gameplay and location based encounters
- Tesla weapons were the main objective, they sound like the new wonder weapons of WWII
- Super zombies/mini bosses return in WWII
- Easter egg is the hardest thing ever in Zombies!
- Headquarters will be MASSIVE. Set three days after D-Day.
- Headquarters allows you to open loot chests in front of other players, similar to Destiny
- Proximity chat confirmed. Wide variety of targets in the firing range with different difficulties
- Rewards for daily and weekly quests in headquarters that gives you mini-missions on locations or send you out to multiplayer matches. More activities = more loot
- Cosmetic only.... for now. Weapons were not mentioned.
- The theater room allows you to watch streams and WWII tournaments in game, and you can check mail and leaderboards in HQ
- Dynamic events confirmed for WWII HQ. example: an aerial scramble that drives players to anti-air guns to fend off the base from enemy aircraft
- All cosmetics are era themed. Legendary and epic skins confirmed
- New loot item called Sweetheart Grips. This was a thing in WWII, soldiers would take and replace their pistol grips with a piece of plexiglass and use pictures of their significant others in the glass
- Divisions- class based, no perks, some classes have specific abilities. If you rank up the division enough, you can unlock a weapon in that division that you can use in all divisions like BF
- Gun mods are still a thing, perks are GONE. Division Skill and Basic Training skill are "perks"
- Hardpoint and Kill Confirmed confirmed to return